Thursday, October 28, 2010

Back in black (and orange)

I will start off by apologizing for my sudden disappearing! I got caught up big time in hell week(s) at U of T. Sorry. Apologizing - done. Next.

During hell week however, I managed to fit in a couple interesting things (to avoid a sudden, painful, death due to work overload) such as a Phoenix concert at the Ricoh center, downtown Toronto and baking (duh, of course).

Phoenix was good. Not amazing, not outrageous, just good. Truth be told phoenix is not that much of a popular band and the Ricoh center is too big a venue for such a concert. Other than that, I blame my limited student budget for the crappy really really really far seats I got. However, phoenix does put on a show and even from a distance the music was what I expected and I still had good company so all in all it was worth it.

Now for baking stress relief therapy, remember the cheesecake brownies I talked about here? They are as good as they look (even though they don't look as amazing, but that can be my fault and my lack of baking hardware's fault), really worth a try if you are into baking. I decided I should quit university and start a bakery, I'd be way happier (hey mom! love you too!). I was going to take pictures but they are all gone by now, thanks to my sauga the saga cast mates (my roomates and friends if you will). I have some oatmeal fudge bars on my list of to-bakes next, so I'll let you now how it goes.

Since its Halloween weekend, my usual lets-try-to-get-my-readers-out-of-boredom list will follow what all the other blogs have been ranting about all week (hem hem cliche much, am I?)... here we go:

Fashion Obsession: Harry Potter costume design - homage or plain copying?
Not really Halloween but still within the context consider its wizarding and all that... I ran across thin in the Telegraph's website and thought it was interesting enough to share. The picture in the left show Flear Delacour marrying Bill Weasley in the upcoming movie, and the one on the right is an Alexander McQueen dress. Apparently, costume designer Jamy Temine told the LA times that she did look at McQueen's work for inspiration. Belinda White from the Telegraph says its forgery, I stick with my innocent (yeah, right) stake on life, and just say its a very very very accurate homage to the beloved McQueen and his work.


Costume Ideas - not practical (but neither is life )
These were my top two out of the gazillion I've seen so far (found it at the list @starving.com.br)!



Culture for the masses - Wicked the Musical
A huge hit in Broadway and the UK is now in Toronto! I haven't seen it yet (I tried squeezing it in my very, very brief visit to London this summer but unfortunately it didn't work out) however some of my friends have and said its amazing. The story sounds a bit childish - based on the wizard of Oz, two girls that meet in sorcery school, become really good friends, and one ends up being good and the other one wicked; like Glinda the good and the Wicked witch from the west the early years type thing - but I've been assured its better than it sounds. Tickets are on sale here.

If you guys have any other suggestions for Halloween, there's still time, so let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment